Positive reinforcement training involves rewarding your dog for the things they do right. The reward could be a toy, a game, or a treat – whatever your dog wants to work for. To some people that sounds like a bribe, not training, and they want their dog to obey just because they should. But positive reinforcement training is neither a bribe nor a gimmick. It’s based on the science of animal learning, and it’s incredibly effective.
The benefits of positive-reinforcement training include:
- Builds a strong bond with your dog based on trust and respect
- Avoids increasing anxiety or aggression
- Uses fun, easy training methods for the entire family
- Provides mental stimulation, preventing boredom and problem behaviors
- Allows a dog to choose, without fear of repercussions
- Builds a dog’s confidence